5 Ways You Can Cut HVAC Energy Costs Throughout Your Cincinnati Home
by Greg Leisgang on March 24, 2014
Posted in: Energy Savings
The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems in the typical Cincinnati home account for the largest share of energy expenses -- as much as 60 percent -- according to the federal Energy Star program. The good news is that there are plenty of simple ways you can cut the high cost of heating and cooling. Here are some tips on how to do it.
- Air filter - Let’s start with the simplest energy saving tip first. The air filter in your forced-air system is responsible for protecting HVAC equipment and household occupants from airborne contaminants. Use a good filter, such as one rated MERV 9-12, and change it regularly. A clogged filter impedes airflow across the furnace and A/C blower, which substantially increases electricity consumption.
- Programmable thermostat - A programmable thermostat is a simple device that offers the convenience of saving heating and cooling dollars without sacrificing comfort. In fact, programmable thermostats let you awaken to your favorite temperature without walking through a cold home to turn on the heat. Program 8-hour periods of 7- to 10-degree differences from your comfort temperature and see real energy savings.
- Water heating - Water heating accounts for about 14 percent of energy consumption. Many water heaters have factory settings set at 140 degrees. This high temperature increases scalding risk, contributes to corrosion and wastes energy. Set the thermostat to 120 degrees for a balance of agreeable hot water and energy bills.
- Air sealing - You can save a whole bunch of energy with a little bit of caulk and weatherstripping. Seal cracks and gaps around windows and doors — the prime suspect areas for air leaks — with caulk and weatherstripping. You may also use a draft guard for the bottom of doors. Make sure to seal the attic hatch with weatherstripping as well. Heat naturally rises and finds its way into the attic if the insulation barrier isn’t sealed.
- Maintenance - Regular professional preventive maintenance of your heating and cooling systems helps them last longer and catches potential issues before they become bigger, more expensive matters.
For more information on curbing HVAC costs in your Cincinnati home, contact Tri-County Heating & Cooling.
Image via Shutterstock.com