Buying A Boiler? Here's A Handy, Simple Guide To Maximize The Return

by Greg Leisgang on December 5, 2012

Posted in: Boilers

buying a boiler, West Chester, OhioWas your Butler County or Greater Cincinnati area home's boiler on the fritz at the end of the last heating season? Now is the time to start planning on buying a boiler to ensure efficient, lasting heat over the winter season. By following these three easy steps to buying a boiler, you can upgrade your home's heating system with confidence and ease.

1. Check out the efficiency rating

As you look at various boilers, you will find the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating clearly displayed on each model. AFUE is a measurement of how efficiently the boiler can convert the fuel into heat within a typical season. To further elaborate, AFUE is the ratio of a boiler's output of heat vs. the total amount of energy that is consumed by the unit. As an example, a boiler with an AFUE of 90 percent signifies that 90 percent of the fuel's energy is converted into heat for your home, while the other 10 percent is lost to the chimney or elsewhere.

2. Consider fuel types

Gas is the most commonly utilized fuel type for boilers. Although the minimum accepted AFUE set by the government for gas-fired boilers is 75 percent, models are available with much higher AFUE ratings, with condensing boilers reaching above 90 percent AFUE. Although AFUE ratings are highest for all-electric boilers (reaching up to 100 percnet), these are probably not your best bet, as the high cost of electricity makes them uneconomical. 

3. Choose efficiency features

When buying a boiler, consider a condensing unit. Although this type of system may cost more up front, it will cut costs significantly in the long run. Condensing technology may offer the best option in terms of an efficiency-enhancing feature, because it allows the unit to condense the water vapor produced during combustion, and use the heat from the condensation, thereby boosting efficiency significantly.

For more expert advice on buying a boiler, contact the professionals at Tri-County Heating & Cooling. We have proudly been serving residents of the Butler County and Greater Cincinnati area for more than 40 years. 

Image via

 Jonle Co. Inc. BBB Business Review  

Website Development & Management by NetCrafters